Wisdom Applied From Proverbs 1-3
The Five Truths of Biblical Stewardship that All must Master.
Live by them, memorize them. They are the lifeblood of this teaching!
Start by praying; expressing your need of His help and provision in this time of your life. Express your thankfulness, gratefulness and worship Him for all the good things you know He does for you now, and those secret things you don’t know about. Expect that as memorize these Five Principles, God sees your effort and will richly bless you.
In this lesson we will examine the Five Principles in detail. Memorize these simple laws. They are the building block to your complete and ready financial success. In most cases, people in financial trouble have developed poor financial habits. These five areas represent the opposite of poor practices and focus on new, healthy habits that will lead to prosperity and your Financial Freedom:
1. Always Spend Less than you Earn – Track with a Written Monthly Budget (Proverbs 27:23)
2. Get out of Debt, because Debt is slavery to another (Romans 13:8)
3. Give, for giving breaks the power of Money – Key concept: you will Reap what you Sow (Acts 20:25 & 2 Corinthians 9:7)
4. Save and Work, for saving and earning are the opposites of Debt. Open a savings account and add to it on a regular basis to start a healthy habit (Proverbs 21:5)
5. Establish an Emergency Savings and Savings Account, for life is uncertain. Set long-range goals, be wise, not foolish with what God has entrusted to you. (Matthew 7:25, Proverbs 16:3)
The World Says: There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death. (Proverbs 14:12)
God Says (Proverbs 22:4): “True humility and the fear of the LORD lead to riches, honor and life.” And Proverbs 4:10 tells us: “Receive my sayings and the years of your life Will Be many.”
Do you feel pressure from the world to make expenditures that are beyond your means? You get to choose: The Scripture teaches “Many sorrows come to the wicked, but unfailing love surrounds those who trust in the LORD.” Psalm 32:10 As a believer, we are to have a new mind, the mind of Christ.
Paul speaks of this in Romans 12:2:
Don’t copy the behavior of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will know what God’s will for you is, His good, pleasing and perfect will.”
Your Attitude and following these new habits is what will change Your Course!
This being the case, what should guide our attitude concerning spending habits? Are you ready to use this New Wisdom and apply it to your financial life today? Are you ready to be honest with the Lord, your spouse your peers and most importantly yourself? Do you want to seek that ultimate congratulations from Christ in Heaven and attain all God wants for you? Let the old way of life pass off. Break the old habits and form positive ones that reflect Gods heart for you using these laws. Do this and it will change you and your family’s lives forever. Now we will teach you a more excellent way, the Masters Way!
Be a Faithful Steward! “It is required in Stewards to be found faithful.” (1 Corinthians 4:2)
As before said, memorize and repeat this verse daily – it will guide and change your life. As most people have formed unhealthy financial habits over a period of years, a multi-disciplinary approach is vital to achieve success – and with God’s help, you will now defeat those destructive habits of overspending, using debt, giving out of your leftovers to God rather from your abundance, having no emergency reserves and finally; having no long-range Plan. The Five Principles cover all these. All require acquiring new habits. The sum of them will transform your financial life.
The following is a checklist worthy of saving. See appendix.
Making it Work Checklist…Think about It!
- End Poor Spending Habits and make every spending decision a spiritual decision
- Embrace the Wisdom relating to finances and possessions as taught in God’s Word
- Complete the Written Worksheets (Budget and Debt) with your spouse or other counsel and submit to one another
- Start Giving – for giving breaks the power of money and releases God’s blessing toward you! (Malachi 3)
- Expect a Miracle that encourages you, as God sees your new path!
- Receive the Peace that comes through knowing God has plans to give you a Hope and a Future! (Jeremiah 29:11)
- End Careless Spending Commit that any purchase over $100 should be delayed 24 hours, prayed about and placed before the Lord. “Commit your Plans to the Lord.”
Your Written Plan
Now that you’ve committed to being a faithful steward, what’s next? A written plan. No more spending until the debit card doesn’t work or the bank calls asking for additional money because of new overdrafts. No! You will now have a plan for every dollar and are sticking to it. Here’s where we can help in some simple and practical steps. Begin a control system. Leave your debit card at home and go with cash based on the Form 1 Budget sheet items where possible in the back of this book. Items such as car gas, groceries and you’re eating out budget items are a good place to begin using cash. More on this is found in the next chapter.
Tip: A good rule regarding purchase decision making is this; if the item or service costs over $100, wait overnight and pray about it. You will be shocked how many times you will reverse a decision and feel peaceful about it too! (See http://www.twomasters.org/services for downloads)